Black Swan's Solu-Flux is a 100% soluble flux to be used with most plumbing solders - especially lead-free solders. Has working temperatures of 250 F to 520 F. Safe to use on potable water systems. Can be used on copper, brass, galvanized, tin, zinc and other commonly soldered metals. Not for use on aluminum. Conforms to ASTM B813/93. This easy-to-use product is self-cleaning, non-fuming and non-corrosive. Black Swan Solu-Flux has excellent wetting characteristics which provides for better solder flow and better joints. Will not liquify in container and will not harden or dry out. Approved by the Copper Development Association (CDA). Contains no lead, zinc chloride or pertrolatum.
PROBLEM WITH "OLD STYLE" FLUXES
After a connection is made with "old style" fluxes, there are two main problems:
- A corrosive material is left on the copper tubing that over time can cause corrosion which leads to leaks.
- The flux residue left on the copper tubing can leave an after taste in the water that is quite unpleasant.
WATER SOLUBLE FLUXES
Because of these problems and concerns for health and safety, a new generation of fluxes have been developed. These fluxes are water soluble and non-corrosive.
Water soluble means that after the connection has been made the flux residue can be easily washed away with water. There will be no flux left on the copper tubing to corrode the system or leave an unpleasant taste.
WATER SOLUBLE VERSUS WATER FLUSHABLE
There is a very important distinction to be made between water soluble and water flushable. Water flushable means the flux residue will be washed away at water temperatures of 77 F. Water soluble means the flux residue will be washed away with water at any temperature.
For normal plumbing applications, a water flushable flux will still leave a residue inside the tubing and can cause problems in the future. A water soluble flux under all circumstances will be washed away.
WHY BLACK SWAN'S SOLU-FLUX IS SUPERIOR
To make a superior water soluble flux is quite difficult. Many of the "new style" fluxes on the market have the following problems:
- They are water flushable and not water soluble.
- They have a relatively low melt point. This means the flux will liquify off the joint before the solder starts to flow. In other words, the flux will not work.
- The stability of the product is very poor. In hot weather condition the flux will liquify in the container.
Black Swan Solu-Flux is absolutely 100% water soluble, works extremely well at high temperatures and is very stable in all weather conditions.
- Clean surface of tubing and inside of fitting with steel wool or emery cloth.
- For best results check square cut, no burrs and proper fit.
- Brush paste on surface of tubing and fitting and apply torch to outer metal - not directly on Black Swan 95/5 Solder-n-Flux.
- When Black Swan's 95/5 Solder-n-Flux flows, is drawn into joint, and residue stops bubbling, remove flame. Wipe joint clean with damp cloth or wet brush.
Aluminum Chloride C.A.S. No. 12125-02-9
Hydrogen Bromide C.A.S. No. 10035-10-6
Irritant to eyes and respiratory system. May be harmful if swallowed or inhaled.
If swallowed: Do not induce vomiting. Drink plenty of milk or water.
Eye contact: Flush with clean water for 15 minutes.
Skin contact: Wash with soap and water.
Inhalation: If excessive fumes are inhaled, move to fresh air.